The Mayor Councillor Sue Jones attended the unveiling of a plaque at Buckland Hospital to commemorate the work of Dr Gertrude Toland, one of the first women to work as a doctor in Dover. Dover Rotary Club arranged for the plaque which replaced one which had been lost during the redevelopment of the hospital.
Gertrude Morgan was born in 1901, graduated from Cambridge University as one of the first women to have their qualification recognised by the University and moved to Dover with her husband (also a doctor) in 1932 when they worked together in General Practice. Her son Mr Gordon Toland gave a moving tribute to his mother describing how she continued working alone during the war as his father had been called up to active service. Dr Gertrude worked as a surgeon at the Dover Hospital and during the Dunkirk evacuation continued operating for 9 days in the large operating theatres located in bunkers on the old Buckland Hospital site. About 350 men were treated and 300 survived. Following the war Dr Gertrude became Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist at Buckland Hospital while continuing her General Practice in the town. She was a Governor of local secondary schools and active in other local organisations.
Councillor Jones welcomed the commemoration of Dr Gertrude as an inspiration and whose achievements were truly remarkable. She paid special tribute to her work as a local Councillor and in particular to her election as Deputy Mayor in 1962-3, one of the first women to hold a senior position in local government in Dover.
Our picture shows the Mayor, Councillor Sue Jones together with Mr Gordon Toland at the unveiling of the commemorative plaque to his mother Dr Gertrude Toland.