Dover War Memorial Project
This memorial is dedicated to the people of Dover who had died in the First World War, and was unveiled on 5 November 1924 by Vice-Admiral Sir Roger Keyes. New inscriptions were added after the Second World War, being re-dedicated to the dead of both World Wars. The memorial sculpture is the work of Reginald R. Goulden who was born in Dover in 1877.
On Remembrance Day 2006, we published a booklet detailing the stories of some of the servicemen’s name that appear on the memorial. This became The Dover War Memorial website, run entirely by volunteers, made with love for those who gave their lives and to the relatives they left behind. In the past, the present, and for the future, through many different initiatives and programmes, The Dover War Memorial Project preserves the memory of our Fallen, that it may remain forever green.
Visit the Dover War Memorial project to find out more.
The port of Zeebrugge was used by the British Expeditionary Force in October 1914, and bombed by Commonwealth and French aeroplanes thereafter. On 23 April 1918, British sailors and marines, in a collection of monitors, destroyers, motorboats, launches, old cruisers, old submarines and Mersey ferry-boats attacked the mole at Zeebrugge and attempted to block the canal leading to Bruges and to the German submarine headquarters.
The Zeebrugge Memorial commemorates the three officers and one mechanic of the Royal Navy who died on the mole at Zeebrugge and have no known grave. The memorial stands in Zeebrugge Churchyard where 30 Commonwealth servicemen of the First World War are buried or commemorated. 17 of the burials are unidentified but a special memorial commemorated an officer of the Royal Naval Air Service officer known to be buried among them.
At noon on St George’s Day, Sunday, April 23, Dovorians were welcome to attend a short, moving tribute. The mayor, in long-established tradition, rang the Zeebrugge Bell from the Town Hall balcony. That weekend, our Belgian friends in Zeebrugge showed their respects. Dover’s act of remembrance for the heroes of the Zeebrugge Raid was followed by wreath-laying for the fallen, buried in St James’ Cemetery.