The Dover Burghmote Horn on display at Maison Dieu House – Σάββατο 10 Σεπτέμβριος


The Dover Burghmote Horn will be on display at Maison Dieu House on Saturday 10 September for the first time since its return to the Town after being stolen in 1969. The Horn which may date back to the 1550s was used to summon the citizens of Dover to Town Meetings and is the finest of about 10 known to still exist.

Maison Dieu House will be open this Saturday 10am – 4pm as part of the annual Heritage Open Day weekend. Maison Dieu House was built in 1665 ως η επίσημη κατοικία του Agent κατανάλωσης αλκοολούχων ποτών, ο τοπικός υπεύθυνος για την οργάνωση της παροχής τροφίμων και ποτών στα πλοία του Βασιλικού Ναυτικού. Δίπλα η ίδια Maison Dieu (το Δημαρχείο) χρησιμοποιήθηκε για την αποθήκευση. The Agent Victualler remained until after the Battle of Waterloo in 1815 and then the building was used as the official residence of the Officer in charge of the Royal Engineers in Dover until 1834.

Maison Dieu House became connected to the Mayoralty when Mr RW Mummery, who held the office of Mayor 3 times, bought the property as his private residence. Dover Corporation bought Maison Dieu House in 1904 ως βάση για τις δημόσιες υπηρεσίες της πόλης, συμπεριλαμβανομένης της Μηχανικός Borough και του Ιατρικού Τμήματος. Σε 1952 Dover Library opened and in 2004 the Town Council renovated and restored the building when it assumed ownership. Είναι πλέον χρησιμοποιείται από το Δημοτικό Συμβούλιο και το λαό της Ντόβερ για ένα ευρύ φάσμα πολιτών περιπτώσεις και συναντήσεις.

Το Σάββατο το Συμβούλιο Επιμελητήριο, the Mayor’s Parlour and the Charter Room will be open together with a display of historic items.