The Dover Burghmote Horn on display at Maison Dieu House – Saterdag 10 September


The Dover Burghmote Horn will be on display at Maison Dieu House on Saturday 10 September for the first time since its return to the Town after being stolen in 1969. The Horn which may date back to the 1550s was used to summon the citizens of Dover to Town Meetings and is the finest of about 10 known to still exist.

Maison Dieu House will be open this Saturday 10am – 4pm as part of the annual Heritage Open Day weekend. Maison Dieu House is gebou in 1665 as die amptelike woning van die Agent proviand meester, die plaaslike persoon wat verantwoordelik is vir die organisering van die verskaffing van kos en drank by die skepe van die Royal Navy. Langsaan die Maison Dieu self (die stadsaal) is gebruik vir die berging. The Agent Victualler remained until after the Battle of Waterloo in 1815 and then the building was used as the official residence of the Officer in charge of the Royal Engineers in Dover until 1834.

Maison Dieu House became connected to the Mayoralty when Mr RW Mummery, who held the office of Mayor 3 times, gekoop die eiendom as sy private woning. Dover Corporation gekoop Maison Dieu House in 1904 as 'n basis vir openbare dienste die dorp se insluitende die Stadsingenieur en die Mediese Beampte. In 1952 Dover Library opened and in 2004 the Town Council renovated and restored the building when it assumed ownership. Dit word nou deur die Stadsraad en Mense van Dover vir 'n wye verskeidenheid van burgerlike geleenthede en vergaderings.

Saterdag die Raadsaal, the Mayor’s Parlour and the Charter Room will be open together with a display of historic items.