August 17th & 18th step back in time during the Age of the Saxons at the inaugural Dover History Festival organised by Destination Dover and Dover Museum.
Dover History Festival is a whole weekend full of free* Saxon themed activities for all ages, including a Saxon & Viking living village with coin minting, dark aged games and more! Plus see Vikings and Saxons settle their differences with battle reenactments, near Dover Market Square.
Come and join in with the free family activities at Dover Museum and help uncover the secrets from an Anglo-Saxon grave, Pendant making, StoryTelling and more!
Dover Roman Painted House will be also hosting a special exhibition showcasing never seen before Anglo-Saxon Artefacts.
Plus we have special events throughout the weekend! With a Free screening of Sword In The Stone, Disney adaptation of the classic fable chronicles of King Arthur’s humble beginnings booking advised.
Free Saxon Expert Talks and Demonstrations, featuring demonstrations of battle techniques, discussing the wounds, weapons and warfare in Anglo-Saxon England, and learn more about the history of Dover’s Saxon Church St Mary in Castro.
Foraging experience for Anglo-Saxon Herbs, discover the herbs used by Anglo-Saxon to make own herbal and cocktails!
Dover History Festival takes place across Dover Town Centre at Dover Museum, Roman Painted House, Discovery Centre and Dover’s Roman Lawn near Market Square.
Festival Programme Overview:
● Roman Lawn – Free Activities & Entry
○ Anglo-Saxon & Viking Living Village
○ Coin Minting Workshops
○ Anglo-Saxon vs Viking Battles
● Roman Painted House
○ Special Exhibition Showcasing Saxon Artefacts discovered by Kent Archaeological Rescue Unit
○ £2 entry Special festival discount
● Dover Museum – Free Activities & Entry
○ Anglo-Saxon Pendant Making – Family Activity
○ Investigate a mock Anglo-Saxon Grave – Family Activity
○ Anglo-Saxon Themed Family Workshops
● Dover Silver Screen – Free Entry
○ Sword in the Stone – Disney
■ Booking recommended – See here for details: https://doverhistoryfestivalswordinthestone.eventbrite.co.uk
● Dover Discovery Centre – Free Entry
○ Special Anglo-Saxon Expert Evening Talks
■ Booking recommended – See here for details: https://doverhistoryfestivalsaxontalks.eventbrite.co.uk
● Special Experience
○ Anglo-Saxon Herbal Foraging Experience
■ £3 per person
■ Booking required: email – email@example.com
Date & Time: 17th & 18th August
Full festival programme and details on how to book found on the Destination Dover website here: www.destinationdover.org/dover-history-festival
*Excludes entry in Roman Painted House and White Cliffs Country Partnership Ango-Saxon Herbal Foraging experience.